2013-2014 Statistical Report of North Carolina Public Libraries
Each annual statistical report provides an overview of the staff, finances, collections, services, usage, and automation in North Carolina's public libraries. To facilitate comparisons, libraries are arranged by type (county, regional or municipal) and within type, by population of the legal service area. The legal service population figures are taken from the Population Estimates and Projections published by the North Carolina Office of State Budget and Management.
The 2013-2014 survey ran from July 15 to September 15 2014. While all 80 public library systems returned their annual report form, not all items on each form were filled out. Data element fields that were left blank or were reported as N/A may be entered as "N/A," "0" or "-1".
The final data for 2013-2014 is below.
- Five Year Statewide Summary (Excel 2007 and later)
- Complete Report & data in computer-readable format (Excel 2007 and later)
- Table 1 - Library Profile (Excel)
- Table 2 - Library Staff (Excel)
- Table 3 - Salaries & Wages (Excel)
- Table 4 - Operating Income (Excel)
- Table 5 - Operating Income: Per Capita Measures & Percent Totals (Excel)
- Table 6 - Operating Expenditures (Excel)
- Table 7 - Collection (Excel)
- Table 8 - Print Collection: Percent Totals & Per Capita Measures (Excel)
- Table 9 - Circulation: Type of Material (Excel)
- Table 10 - Circulation: Service Outlets & Service Measures (Excel)
- Table 11 - Service Measures: User Visits, Reference Questions, & ILL (Excel)
- Table 12 - Library Programs & Attendance (Excel)
- Table 13 - Electronic Technology (Excel)
- Table 14 - Summer Reading Program (Excel)
- Instructions and Data Definitions (PDF)
- North Carolina Public Library Survey form (zipped Excel) Note: this form is only to give you an idea of what the survey looks like. The survey must be completed online. Some features of the survey (such as drop down menus with selection choices) do not appear in this Excel version of the survey.