The State Library is redesigning our website with the goal of creating the best possible experience for our users. Please take a moment to have a look. We welcome your feedback on the new web site.
2015-2016 Statistical Report of North Carolina Public Libraries
Each annual statistical report provides an overview of the staff, finances, collections, services, usage, and automation in North Carolina's public libraries. To facilitate comparisons, libraries are arranged by type (county, regional or municipal) and within type, by population of the legal service area. The legal service population figures are taken from the Population Estimates and Projections published by the North Carolina Office of State Budget and Management.
The 2015-2016 survey ran from July 15 to September 15 2016. While all 80 public library systems returned their annual report form, not all items on each form were filled out. Data element fields that were left blank or were reported as N/A may be entered as "N/A," "0" or "-1".
Beginning in 2011-2012, the downloadable data includes a complete copy of all survey data in computer-readable form. This data can be found in the first worksheet (titled "All data (computable)") of the spreadsheet "Complete report & data in computer-readable format." This same worksheet also includes totals and mean averages for every data field faceted by NC department of commerce county tier designations for economic wellbeing, library type (county, regional, municipal), and NC as a whole. NC department of commerce county tier designations for economic wellbeing have also been added to the Library Profile table.
The draft data for 2015-2016 is below.
- Five Year Statewide Summary (Excel 2007 and later)
- Complete Report & data in computer-readable format (Excel 2007 and later)
- Table 1 - Library Profile (Excel)
- Table 2 - Library Staff (Excel)
- Table 3 - Salaries & Wages (Excel)
- Table 4 - Operating Income (Excel)
- Table 5 - Operating Income: Per Capita Measures & Percent Totals (Excel)
- Table 6 - Operating Expenditures (Excel)
- Table 7 - Collection (Excel)
- Table 8 - Print Collection: Percent Totals & Per Capita Measures (Excel)
- Table 9 - Circulation: Type of Material (Excel)
- Table 10 - Circulation: Service Outlets & Service Measures (Excel)
- Table 11 - Service Measures: User Visits, Reference Questions, & ILL (Excel)
- Table 12 - Library Programs & Attendance (Excel)
- Table 13 - Electronic Technology (Excel)
- Instructions and Data Definitions (docx)